If you’re not including the best trap exercises in your workouts, then your workout routine isn’t complete. Many people focus on their core and arms but neglect the trapezius muscles. This makes them seem like a stereotypical “bobblehead.”
Here are the best trap exercises for men, so that you can continue to add muscle to your healthy muscle portfolio. We never said it would be easy! As you consider all of these factors, you’ll be boosting your trap muscles and improving your posture. You’ll improve on things like definition and muscle movement, increasing your muscle mass and strength.
Here is a list of the best trap exercises for men.
1. Farmer’s Walk
Weight carries are a popular form of exercise among fitness enthusiasts. However, if you don’t incorporate them into your routine, there’s a good chance you’re missing out on one of the best trapezius muscle exercises. Here’s how to do it:
- Hold a dumbbell or kettlebell (or weight of your choosing) in each hand on either side of your body.
- Maintain a firm, upright posture as you engage your core and back.
- Take measured steps while maintaining good posture
Distance: 40-60m using a lighter weight, or 20-30m using a middleweight, or 10-15m using a heavy weight. Number of sets: 2-3. Recovery: 2-3 minutes between each set. To Buy Electrolyte Watermelon Powder Packets
2. Single-Arm Dumbbell Upright Row
While performing this trap workout, remember that the movement starts and ends at the elbow. This will help you maintain proper form. Here’s how to execute:
- Grab a dumbbell in one hand using the overhand grip and keep it in front of your body.
- Raising your elbow up and to the side, bring the weight toward your chin.
- Carefully return to the starting position and repeat.
- Perform all reps on one arm before switching to the other arm.
Reps: 10-12 per arm per set Sets: 3-5 Rest: 45-60 seconds between each set
3. Face Pull
Sometimes the best traps are right in front of us. This under-utilized trapezius exercise is one of the better trap Exercises for size. It will target your lower back muscles and can be done with a cable machine or a resistance band. Here we go:
- Set the cable at eye-level.
- In each hand, grip the rope handles using an overhand grip.
- Squeeze your shoulder blades as you pull the cable towards your face, keeping your elbows high and your back straight.
- Place the cable as close to your face as you can, hold for a moment, and then slowly return to the starting position.
Reps: 8-12 per set Sets: 3-4 Rest: 45-60 seconds between each set
4. Bent Over Y
Another example of a stretch that mainly targets the lower trapezius muscles. Remember to use light weights as you perform this exercise: To Buy Electrolyte Watermelon Powder Packets
- Stand with your feet shoulder-length apart.
- Hold a light dumbbell in either hand, thumbs facing up.
- Bend at the hip and maintain this position.
- Raise both arms in front of you so that your body forms a Y.
- Hold the Y formation, then return to the starting position.
Reps: 10-12 per set Sets: 2-3 Rest: 45-60 seconds between each set
5. Pullup Shrug
The mighty shrug is the perfect workout for people of all fitness levels. It works on more than one muscle group, and also helps you stay in shape for regular pull-ups. What are you waiting for? Let’s get into it: To Buy Electrolyte Watermelon Powder Packets
- Hang from the pullup bar, keeping your spine straight and core tight.
- Lift your shoulders and neck as your head moves upward.
- Tighten your abs, hold for a count, and then return to the starting position.
Reps: 10 per minute for 10 straight minutes Sets: 1 Rest: 1-2 minutes
6. Barbell Shrug
1: Grab a barbell with your hands shoulder width apart. 2: Keep a slightly arched back and contract your core muscles (abs). 3: While holding onto the contracted position, bring your shoulders as high up as you can. That’s one rep done — do 10-12 reps on each side for best results:
- Pick up a barbell using the overhand grip, keeping your hands shoulder-width apart.
- Let the bar hang at arm’s length in front of your waist
- With your back slightly arched, lean forward about 10 degrees at the hips.
- Bend your knees slightly and keep your arms straight as you shrug your shoulders upward, taking them as high as you can.
- Hold for a moment before returning to the starting position.
Reps: 3-5 per set Sets: 2-3 Rest: 1-2 minutes between each set
7. Rack Pull
You’re giving more than just the trapezius muscles a workout with this popular exercise, which builds strength and improves formation. Here’s how to execute: To Buy Electrolyte Watermelon Powder Packets
- Position a rack so that the barbell is just above shin level
- Position a rack so that the barbell is just below shin level. Grab the bar using an overhand grip, keeping your hands around shoulder-width apart.
- Hinge at the waist as you push your hips back and your feet through the floor, pulling the bar upward and keeping your back straight.
- Hold for a count and carefully return to the starting position.
Reps: 3-5 per set with a heavier load, then lighten the load and perform 1 set of 10-12 reps Sets: 4-6 with a heavier load, 1 with a lighter load Rest: 3-5 minutes between each heavier set
8. Dumbbell Shrug
A less intensive cousin to the barbell shrug, this classic trap exercises improves shoulder stability and movement, amongst other things. Do the following:
- Hold a dumbbell in either hand.
- Hang your arms at either side of your body, palms facing one another.
- Shrug your shoulders as high as you can and pause for a count in the top position.
- Return to the starting position and repeat.
Reps: 8-12 per set Sets: 3-5 Rest: 45-60 seconds between each set
9. Incline Dumbbell Shrug
Dumbbell shrugs work the shoulder area. This less popular variant targets the lower trapezius muscles. Here’s how to do it:
- Hold a dumbbell in either hand as you lie chest-down on an incline bench at a 45-degree angle.
- Hang each arm straight down, palms facing each other.
- Shrug your shoulders upwards so that your shoulder blades pull together.
- Hold at the top, reverse, and repeat
Reps: 8-12 per set Sets: 3-5 Rest: 45-60 seconds between each set
10. Dumbbell Jump Shrug
When you haven’t noticed, quality trap workouts entail a lot of shrugging. Each rep for this exercise should be performed quickly, so as to help you build explosive movement and power. Just remember to maintain absolute control over the weights in the process. Here we go: To Buy Electrolyte Watermelon Powder Packets
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand, bend at your hips and knees.
- Hang your arms so that the weights are just below your knees, palms facing your sides, back at a straight angle.
- In one motion, thrust your hips forward and perform a powerful shoulder shrug. Jump as high as you can.
- Land, reset, and repeat
Reps: 4-6 per set Sets: 3-4 Rest: 1-2 minutes between each set